Lighting is experiencing some new trends, with the chandelier’s past decade of popularity being questioned by designers….. Here are some trends:
- Light sources that shine more furtively at different levels in a room, with help from flexible, easily hidden LEDs.
- Position the lights within a room at a minimum of five different heights. By diffusing light, you make it enigmatic and energetic.
- Down light shows every line and imperfection and can be witch-like. Diffused light is more flattering.
- Recessed alcove lighting used to be very expensive, but LED light strips have brought that cost down sharply and require much less space.
- Combine 3 types of lighting: a smaller pendant/chandelier, task lights and lamps.
- LED burns much, much cooler so it can be placed almost anywhere without eating up too much energy or creating heat/fire risk.
- Be sure to keep the temperature warm – 2,700 kelvins or lower – otherwise you could look ghostly.
- Brightness-wise, an old 100-watt light bulb is emulated with a 1,600 lumens LED light. Always have dimmers.